At 21.7km long, the Ffestiniog Railway runs from the harbour at Porthmadog to the slate mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog. Owned by the Ffestiniog Railway Company (more properly known as the Festiniog Railway Company), the oldest surviving railway company in the world, the line was constructed between 1833 and 1836 to transport slate from the quarries to the harbour to be loaded onto ships. The railway was deliberately graded so that the trains could be run downhill, under gravity, to the harbour, and the hauled back uphill by horses who travelled downhill in specially constructed 'Dandy Wagons'.
Until a long tunnel (designed by Robert Stephenson, son of George Stephenson, designer of 'The Rocket', and himself a noted railway engineer) opened through a long spur in the Moelwyn Mountains, trains were worked over the top via inclines.
With the decline of the demand for slate, the line fell into disuse and disrepair until bought by a group of railway enthusiasts in 1954 who restored it to full working order and transformed it into the major tourist attraction that it is today.
For four players only, in this scenario players choose which end to start their Surveyor at - players can only build on Station cards from their Surveyor's starting station up to, and including, the Station on which their Surveyor is currently located. When an Event happens, it is resolved from the end at which the game's Surveyor is located, and after resolution the game's Surveyor switches to the other end of the track.