The Snowdon Mountain Railway is a rack and pinion mountain railway which runs from Llanberis (108m above sea level), travelling 7.6km to the peak of Mount Snowdon at 1,065m above sea level.
The railway was built between December 1894, when the first piece of earth was ceremonially cut by Enid Assheton-Smith (after whom train No. 2 is named) and February 1896, at a total cost of £63,800 - equivalent to £6,658,000 in today's terms.
On its first day of operation, in April 1896, the railway suffered an accident in which one passenger died, and was closed until September of that year, when services to Hebron re-opened, April 1897, when services to Clogwyn resumed, and by June 1897 services had again resumed all the way to the summit station.
To this day the railway operates from mid-March to November (inclement weather aside) and carries more than 130,000 passengers each year.